2010年5月11日星期二

View from the cheap seats

If you recall, when Colby Armstrong was with the Pittsburgh Penguins, he and a few of his teammates picked up magic as a hobby.
"Hi, I'm Colby Armstrong, the newest Hockeycentral panel member and I used to be Sidney Crosby's roommate."
Big freaking deal Mr. Name Dropper. So you are tight with the best player in the planet. How does that help us in this series?
If I want to know what kind of toothpaste Sidney uses or if Alex Ovechkin really pranks Crosby in hotels around the league, Armstrong would be a perfect fit.

But I learned many years ago, never to complain in this business. So I went off in search of an extra seat in the secondary auxiliary press area.

In case you are wondering, the secondary auxiliary press area is where the NHL puts the misfits of the media. Radio stations you've never heard of, magazines that end in ".com" and reporters from overseas all converge in this Bermuda Triangle.

I'm sure when I pulled into the area, everyone thought I was a Spanish reporter here to cover my first Stanley Cup Finals.

I had half a mind of saying, "Crosby has been berry, berry good tonight."

But the problem was, I actually couldn't really see if Crosby was berry, berry good, because the seats in the secondary auxiliary press box have obstructed views.

As a result, I ended up watching the game on the NBC feed. It's actually the first time I've ever watched a playoff game on NBC and it was a real eye-opener for me. I had no idea that the network did so many In the end, it was a bizarre evening for me. With the Penguins winning Game 3, that ensures we return to Joe Louis Arena for Game 5, where I have a guaranteed seat in the press box.
I never thought I'd actually see the day where I was looking forward to a trip to Detroit. Colby Armstrong - you really can perform magic.
cross-promotions within the broadcasts.

For example, did you know that when Sidney Crosby is behind the net with the puck, Mike Emrick is contractually obliged to say, "Sidney is in The Office - which airs Thursdays at 9pm."

I also found it a little strange that they always referred to the extra players as "Scrubs". And I swear I heard Ed Olczyk say, "Pittsburgh has lost some toughness with George La-30 Rock out of the lineup."
Well he certainly has a gift in that realm because last night --Armstrong made me disappear.
I was asked by my producer to give up my normal seat in press row at Mellon Arena so that Armstrong could sit beside our Hockeycentral panel crew of Nick Kypreos, John Garrett and Daren Millard.
I just want to know what Armstrong is bringing to the equation that warrants me getting bumped.

On a side note, this is a reminder to Fox that they shouldn't have given up on the NHL. Imagine the cross-promotions they NHL Jerseys could have done for "Malkin In The Middle?"

没有评论:

发表评论